Sunday, March 8, 2009

ipod: left turn

OK, I wanted to do the ipod thing. Crashed and Burned, it wasn't pretty (come on, someone get the movie quote...). So I want to take it in a different direction.

Put up 5 evocative or provocative titles of pieces, songs, whatever, on your ipod. Don't list the artist. Mine will mostly come from my art music collection since that's what I can think through relatively quickly. The challenge to the reader, assuming they have no clue who the music is from, is to ponder the following questions, then either post your responses (brief?) with your list, or else just sit in the dark alone and ponder quietly:

1) What would this music sound like? What sort of performing forces would be necessary?
2) Who could write music that would sound as the title would suggest? What is the sort of musical and cultural background of such a composer/artist/group/entity?
3) What is the audience for a music like this and what sort of reactions may they have to your imagined sonic result based on the title you have given them?

If you know something on the list, you obviously are not allowed to think about it! In a quite particular order undiscernible to you the viewer:

1) G-Spot Tornado (OK, that it is Zappa is relatively obvious, but I'm hoping most of you don't know what the piece sounds like)
2) The Immesurable Space of Tones
3) Onomatopoeia
4) Like Igor Stravinsky crossed with Thelonius Monk
5) Yo Shakespeare

3 comments:

  1. Top Gun! What do I win?

    Fascinating idea, Kyle. Here are my 5:

    1. Return of the Son of Monster Magnet (yep, Zappa)
    2. A Lotus on Irish Streams
    3. The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience But You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, "I Have Fought the Big Knives..."
    4. In Which a Bunny, Delirious from the Sugary Fumes, Dissolves into
    a Hysterical Grinagog (a movement from a larger work; percussionists are disqualified)
    5. A Simple Way to Go Faster Than Light that Does Not Work

    This isn't the most obscure music, so many of you will probably know at least a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid mine are obvoius, since I don't have any strange titles on my ipod... but hey you never know? So here goes...

    1. Din Din Wo
    2. J'ai pas vingt ans
    3. Platee
    4. Epitaph in old mode
    5. Bread and Cherries for voice and piano

    It's quite a mix, hope you all enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Bend and Snap
    2. Cabaret songs for voice and Piano: Calypso
    3. How Glory Goes
    4. The Black Swan
    5. Little red hat

    Ok, this is a little selective, but I recently formatted my mp3 player to get rid of all the crap someone else had put on it for a recent roadtrip. I am obviously too trusting with my stuff.

    ReplyDelete