Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I want to be in America, Okay by me in America"

Well, to be honest when I started reading the posting from many of you I kind of felt a little embarrassed with the fact that I ended up in this class for, let’s say, lack of possibilities… I share this not to say that I have no interest on the subject, but only to show that this is definitely not my greatest passion.

That being said, I’ll try to explain my experience with music since 1900. During my college years in Brazil I had one survey class on 20th century music. From this class I could associate this historical period with Bartok, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, minimalism, serialism, whole tone scale, prepared piano, electronic music, and… well, I think this is all (not that I haven’t been taught anything else, but this was pretty much all I could retain… Shame on me!). Some years (and hundreds of miles) later, here in the US, I found myself sitting on Dr. Domeck’s class analysis of music since 1900. At this time I learned that the weird and, why not say chaotic music I’ve heard on my undergrad could really make sense, and that in abandoning my so beloved tonality, composers used other means to establish coherence and unity. Mmmmm, interesting! I actually liked the experience - shocking!

As a performer, my knowledge doesn’t go much beyond Brazilian 20th century composers - which may not sound as twentieth as you may think (at least not what I have performed so far), except for a little bit of Falla, Amy Beach, and Gershwin.
What to say now about American composers since 1900? Well I think the answer would be “not very familiar at all.” In fact, the name of Charles Ives didn’t say much to me other than “he is a composer” until, let me see… two classes ago. I think my exposure to music since 1900 and my learning edge are one, or as some may say around here - same difference!

When I think that first I am not an expert on 20th century music, second I am even less familiar with American composers/innovators from this period, third I am not crazy about the subject, and finally I am not as comfortable to weekly write in a blog (in English) as most of you native speakers might be (boy, I wish you all could read in Portuguese…) I think I have two options: 1- to be miserably bored through the entire semester or 2- to be challenged and have fun during the learning process. Well, I have made my mind; I am taking the second option!

No comments:

Post a Comment