Thursday, January 29, 2009

So, this didn't fit in the context of the other blog, so it gets its own:

Dr. Brunner asked us to start thinking about who we want to present on in class. I've been pondering this for the better part of the time since we brought it up in class Tuesday. Despite being a dumb drummer, much of my musical expertise from a historical/analytical standpoint lies outside of the repertoire for my instrument, although I came to most of it through percussion.

Rather than me picking, I would like to hear back from some of you (preferably the non-percussionists) about what you'd like to hear from me. I'll throw up a preliminary list of composers below, and probably add to it as I think of others. Or if there is someone on this list you think I'd be interested in based on the list below, throw em at me. Don't be bashful, either way, it's a learning experience for me, which will hopefully turn into a learning experience for you.

Some of these folks are not American, and/or are perhaps not considered innovative, but I'd be more than happy to present on any number of them. In no particular order:

David Maslanka
Steve Reich
David Lang and/or Bang-On-A-Can
Frank Zappa (specifically his non-rock works)
Louis Andreissen and European Minimalism
Arvo Part
Henryk Gorecki
Martin Bresnick (head of Composition faculty at Yale, great writer)
Iannis Xenakis
George Crumb
Karlheinz Stockhausen
John Cage
Nigel Westlake (the most famous composer from Australia, fabulous stuff!)

Plus anyone else that has written anything for percussion

OK, ready, go!

1 comment:

  1. I vote Maslanka or Zappa, although all the choices are interesting.

    ReplyDelete