Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Miles of Copland

Kudos to Eric for presenting an upcoming concert with the music of Copland, Miles, and Ewazen . I think it will be a very interesting concert to attend, and I hope to do so. These composers are so different from each other that it would be an exciting blend of many styles.

A few weeks ago Eric presented some excellent information about one of these musicians….Miles Davis. I had heard of him throughout the years but had never really listened to his music. Eric wanted to stretch his learning “edge” and learn more about Miles. I must admit, this type of jazz is on my “edge” also. While I like jazz, for some reason the jazz that I enjoy is from the big band era. I have tried for years to enjoy the type of modern jazz that includes jazz fusion.

I found what was more fascinating was the artist himself, not necessarily his music. Miles exudes a kind of presence of nonchalance that is quite intriguing. While I’m not a big fan of jazz of this type, I really liked the way that Miles continued to grow in his life, both personally and musically. After class, I went through some of the youtube archives and listened to more of Miles’ music throughout the years. His music does change and I think it challenged not only himself, but the listener as well. I don’t think that Miles performed his music to necessarily please his audience , ubt rathter to please himself. It was his way of expressing himself. As he told Harry Reasoner, he ‘hears’ music all the time. Even though his music wasn’t necessarily my ‘cup of tea’ or on my iPod’s top favorite songs (even I had one that is), I can’t help but admire the man for continuing to listen and re-create what he heard.

So off we go (either into the blue yonder or simply to bed!) trying to stretch our listening hibitions, trying to broaden what we recognize as 'safe' music and as 'comfortable' music. Edges aside, I think it our duty as musicians, as educators, as human beings, to continually stretch our own boundaries and explore the innovations out in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment