Thursday, May 7, 2009

Live Music

In the past week I was able to go to two concerts of popular music. One thing I love about going to concerts as that generally the majority of the people who go to an artist's concert know his/her music and are generally very excited to be there. That is one thing that I love about popular music--the audience. When I go listen to LPO or Cleveland or Cincinnati, the audience is always calm, reserved, and there are always those people there working their way up some social ladder. (Even in Lexington) This past weekend I got to see Jason Mraz at UK and there is something energizing about a couple of thousand slightly intoxicated coeds dancing and singing along to a great singer/songwriter. I don't know how many people are familiar with his music, but I have been a huge fan since I was in high school. I have now seen him 4 times live and I am never dissapointed. If you are down on the floor area able to stand up and be loud and sing, it's a really fun concert experience. I doubt anyone was singing in the finale of Beethoven 9 just a couple of weeks ago. I just think it is a shame that there aren't enough venues to really have fun with live music.
The second concert I went to was in Chicago. It was a Britney Spears concert at All-State Arena and it was completely sold out. I bought these tickets for my boyfriend back around Christmas time, and I was lucky to get front row seats. Let me say that you might not like her, her music, or how immensely popular she is with the American public, but if orchestras had their P.R. people and marketing strategies, maybe orchestral music wouldn't be a dying art form soon to go the way of the dinosaur. I know that while I was there, Ms. Spears didn't sing a single note live, and that all of the music for the most part was pre-recorded, but I have to say that it was probably the most fun I have had at any kind of concert all year. There were over 45,000 people singing the songs, dancing in their seats, and shouting Britney's name. That kind of excitement is contagious and I loved every minute of it.
It just makes me wonder why people don't love to go out and support all music. I think that in the past couple of years I have opened myself up to all kinds of music scenes, and I have generally had fun at all of them. I love the big classic works at an orchestra concert and I love going to hear pop groups and other bands. I have even had fun at a Ludacris concert, knowing that I somehow didn't fit in with the target audience. I wish more people were more open to all music, even if they don't find it to be serious or "high" art. I think musicians tend to be the most prejudice about music when it doesn't fit into the music we are learning to perform.
Do I think that pop stars are innovators? Probably not. I think the producers are innovative in their ways to make up new beats, and catchy hooks. I think the promotors are innovative in the way they can get millions of people to throw $350 down for a couple of concert tickets. I think some pop stars are very inventive and talented, but I do know that the majority of them are just in it to be famous and make an unbelievable amount of money. But all that aside--music is mainly meant to be enjoyed, and I just wanted to share my recent experiences and how refreshing it was to be around thousands of people who wanted to enjoy it as well. Happy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment