Saturday, May 9, 2009

Music is what we make of it!!!!

What did this class mean to me?

For me this class was one of my favorite music classes that I have taken. I got to explore areas that I have not explored, and also at the same time elaborate on subjects I knew a small amount about. At the beginning of this semester this class made a big impact on my life because I was not sure exactly what music or compositions I should perform on my DMA chamber recital. After looking into American Innovation I decided to do a “American Innovators” themed recital. I chose three totally different composers to showcase, Eric Ewazen, Aaron Copland, and Miles Davis. A great lineup, of styles and innovation. Would I have programmed this way if I had not taken this course? No, I would not have. That was the power of this course, I was thinking outside the box. After the recital my professor told me “It was one of the most interesting, and innovative recitals I have ever seen”. I took that as a huge compliment. I was not looking to do the usual chamber recital that most would do, I chose do some something outside the box maybe innovative.
Before this class I downright hated some of Miles Davis’s works, “Bitches Brew” argh. I was not a fan at all. I forced myself to re-listen to it, and if I still didn’t like it atleast find out WHY I didn’t like it. I listened to it again and I was hooked. This class got me thinking outside my box and just listen to the music. As a DMA student from day one you have “I-IV-V-I” railed into your head, and I disliked anything that was not this way. Today, this is not the case. I realized music is what we make of it, music lies within the beholder. Some of John Cages music I find different and innovative, but maybe to Cage it is just interesting music.

No comments:

Post a Comment