Monday, February 23, 2009

Blogging about the blog

[I have already sent this as an e-mail message, but thought I would put it on the blog nevertheless. See you in class tomorrow!]

I am of two minds about our foray into musical innovators this
semester. One mind is absolutely delighted. The other is worried.

Since I seem to be programmed to learn, or want to learn, I am
delighted to learn new things, discover new music, or fascinating
facts or stories about composers. Perhaps I like innovation, or
perhaps "renovation." So one way I judge a class or learning
experience is delight, and I must say I am delighted in both my
learning and YOUR learning. I just love the blog entries that you all
(almost all) of you have posted. The are so fresh, insightful, and
honest (even if they are not necessarily insightful about the music,
they give us insight into your mind and thinking processes, or
struggles and discoveries). Makes me want to jump up and shout (which
is one purpose of blogs, Isn't it?), although I have hardly had a
chance to whisper on the blog. No matter. What I see happening is
some genuine reflection on things often taken for granted or accepted
uncritically. And I see conversations taking place (or evidence of
those conversations) outside of class that strike me as very healthy
and the symptoms of a learning community. I also see evidence of
people venturing into their second circles (most have stayed out of
the third, or at least haven't admitted to it on the blog!) and, in
effect, widening their first circle. Nicola's recent post is a good
example of this process, and there are many more posts. One member of
the class told me s/he is going to study a composer "because I do not
like their music, and I want to understand it or why I feel this
way." Great second-circle orientation. Go for the edges with an open
mind and courageous heart, and you are bound for glory (and
learning). And if you share your process and journey, the rest of us
will be learning, too.

In short: Brav@s!

My other mind? Oh, yeah, not everyone is posting regularly, so I
worry. Are you with us? Are you in your own process? Or putting
things off until you find time to get engaged with the material, or
until fear takes over? You have plenty of rope in this class to roam
freely over the landscape, and some of you are discovering really
interesting things about the terrain, and places you haven't seen, or
haven't liked, before, and now they seem interesting. But others
probably need more structure, clearer deadlines, more support and
nurture, more threats.... So perhaps I should try to meet with each
of you individually this and next week to see how I can better invite
you into the second circle and help facilitate your learning. Or you
could tell me how I can help.

Otherwise, keep blogging, keep the conversations going. This is a
lifelong process, but there is a lot to learn right here and now about
innovation and tradition and, especially, about our own renewal.

See you tomorrow, when we'll talk about Harrison and Senor Chavez.

Cheers,
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment