Monday, February 16, 2009

How would you like your piano prepared?


A big "THANK YOU" to Kyle for encouraging me to check out the music and world of Martin Bresnick. While I was eager to begin this class and to explore what has been or is new in the world of music, I was slow out of the blocks for a plethora of reasons. As time goes on in my life, I realize more and more how little I truly know about only a very few "things." Perhaps this goes back to our discussions of our "learning edges." Sometimes, to look out and see so much new and unfamiliar can be daunting for me. I do not know where to even start exploring. This is when I need a nudge or suggestion. Finally, early Saturday morning, I did begin to explore during my favorite time of day - before the sun rises and while all is quiet.
In my wanderings, I stumbled upon many interesting places. One site many of you are likely already aware of is: Sequenza21/ - The Contemporary Classical Music Community. If you do not already know about it, click on the picture at the top to read an interesting story about the Ethos NewSound Festival at SUNY Fredonia. In the picture, students are gathered around watching Michelle Schumann and her amazing piano-tech friendly prepared piano kit readying the piano for a performance of some John Cage ditties.
Here, I also met Ketty Nez -- whose music [which you can hear at her own website] fascinates me. This started a chain of thought regarding contemporary American female composers as well as those of the past. I came along at the tail end of a time when women still had their pathways to pursuing passions littered with a pastiche of obstacles. Honestly, I believe all of us in the world of music, regardless of gender, face a variety of challenges daily which we must creatively maneuver around. This is not a choice for us -- we simply cannot imagine any other life.
Like Mike, my post is brief [even briefer because the first, much more well-written, attempt was lost...sad story]. I just wanted to share where I am.

2 comments:

  1. True, it may be strange to comment on my own post, but I realized my "thank you" to Kyle may not have made much sense in the context of the rest of the post. As noted, I had worked on a "nice" post only to have it disappear [I was trying to be brave...]. My initial searching of Martin Bresnick led to many other side searches -- it was the nudge and suggestion I needed to get out of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer my piano to be well done!

    ReplyDelete