Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Notes to the Listener: to Tell or not to Tell

Today's class discussion really got the gears turning for me, and I hope we have the opportunity to further it this week.  Should program notes be given to an audience (or even a single listener) to direct their listening?  While the question came in specific reference to what might be termed less-accessible music, I think there are broad applications to this question.

For my own benefit, and perhaps yours as well, Gentle Reader, I will briefly recapitulate (no pun intended) some of the points various persons made in class.  As far as I can tell, the discussion boils down the criteria.  The answer to the above question depends on:
1. The number of hearings available to the listener(s).  (Do people become comfortable with something as they become accustomed it, or does familiarity breed contempt?)
2. The demographic of the listener(s), id est their musical education, exposure to and interest in new music, et cetera.
3. The purpose of the venue.  (Is the audience there to be active listeners or passive listener?)

If there are others I've missed, please comment below.  I think, however, that of the number of perspectives expressed, I have distilled the parameters fairly accurately.

There are some additional ones I wish to raise.  Some of these were briefly alluded to during our discourse, but I think they deserve some more attention.  The answer to the above question may also depend upon:
4. Whether or not the music is programmatic (and in this I include music with text, and music with titles that refer to something beyond themselves).
5. The degree of accessibility.  (This would naturally depend upon point 2 above, but one can firstly run it through the roughest of sieves: is it tonal* or not, and to what degree?)

Under point 4, music with a text already has more for the listener to grasp than absolute music.  The same is true of a piece called Kilimanjaro versus a piece called Symphony No. 4 or Sonata, Op. 36 No. 1.  In tandem with point 5 one could create a continuum, in which an atonal work with an abstract title merits explanation much more than a tonal work with a programatic title.

Under point 5, we understand that common practice music (roughly 1600-1900) is going to need less structural explanation for the listener to appreciate than something written before or after that era.  Brahms's Intermezzo in A major Op. 118 No. 2 has a title that has very little meaning (in the artistic sense), but the music makes sense on a first hearing.  This cannot be said of a large body of music written in the last 100 years or so.  Some explanation may be necessary to give the audience something to take hold of and carry them through the piece.

I am dwelling on the issue of structural understanding because, as a theorist, I firmly believe (as I hope we all do) that understanding musical structure facilitates the communication/reception of musical meaning.  If a listener does not understand how to listen for pitch cells, then atonal works will tend to be meaningless.  One derives meaning from language via comprehension of syntax and grammar; likewise one derives meaning from music via comprehension of formal, rhythmic, and pitch organization.  By no means does this mandate that all concert-going audiences be thoroughly steeped in music theory (oh, what a dream that would be).  But generally, people can intuitively discern the logic of tonal music, whereas that is not always (perhaps even often) the case with non-tonal organization.

Of course, this discussion leads inevitably to the question of meaning, and by extension, the purpose art in general, and music in particular.  That is another intensely interesting topic, but one I will lay to rest at present.


*Nota bene.  The word tonal is a loaded word.  Here I do not mean the word to indicate music that involves "tones," which would be pointless, since the very nature of music is to involve tones of some sort.  No, here I mean, music that is organized by the major/minor key system and functional harmony.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe program notes should come with a warning like a pack of cigarettes that reads something along the lines of, "Warning: you cannot unlearn what you will read inside."

    This is an allusion to the point that I was discussing where I think that once you learn something about a piece, you then listen for whatever you have learned. I am all for program notes and I read them many times. But every now and then, I don't read the program simply for the fact that I want to see if I can find something that I can relate to simply by listening to a piece.

    I do understand that in todays society, it is inappropriate to ask for a repeated listening of a particular piece at a concert, of course, if this were commonplace, then concerts would probably last all day...which could be great. Could you imagine hearing a 24 hour program of Riley's "In C" and then someone at then end saying, "Bravo! Again!" That would be awesome. But even though I believe that a live performance of a piece is usually superior to recorded version, I am thankful for such inventions as the IPOD. Because have any of you ever been on tour with a drum corps for 3 months of the summer? If so, then you understand that after a whole summer of hearing the same 3-5 tunes live on a football field, you could use some good ole pre-recorded/studio-mix tunes.

    Anyways, I would encourage people who do read program notes to resist the temptation of learning about the piece before you listen, and if you're a person that doesn't read program notes, try reading them before the concert, you might find things that you wouldn't of heard if you hadn't. Either way, there's no right or wrong, you simply should be informed about why you do or don't read program notes.

    ReplyDelete