Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Overcoming my edge and some thoughts on modern music

I think I am probably the last person from class to contribute to the blog, and I haven't had a lot of time to read a good portion of the posts, but I guess that I it is time to share some thoughts on music--especially the music we are covering in class. After reading the second chapter it seems crazy to me how many factions and sects of "modern" American composers there are. It seems so surprising to me how divided composers in America seem to have been. The Pan Americans, and League of Composers, and Pro Musica(s) at the time seem to never end. From my point of view, I can't relate with how divided composers of the time were. I know that this is not a new idea. We all know of the Wagner, Bruchner v. Brahms stories, but it seems more odd to me that this type of situation was taking place in America in the 1920s. The U.S. is a melting pot of cultures and ideas. In light of all of the other things that were going on in the world, I would have thought that the artistic community would have celebrated the amount of variety coming from American composers....at least in America.

After reading more about Henry Cowell's life and carreer in chapter 2 of the Gann, I wanted to point out (for lack of a better word) arrogance that the European composers had towards the concert tour featuring the music of Ive's, etc. The fact that they commented on how the music was copying Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring," and other examples demonstrates their air of superiority toward their American counterparts. Although the war diminished the success of Cowell's tour, I agree with Gann that it was a good start in showing how American composers were coming into their own. It's a shame American composers of the time weren't recognized for what they were doing.

There were so many labels to describe American composers of the time. (Sadly, it's that way today.) These labels did nothing but further alienate people from their music. Why can't you like more than one type? I love hearing new things. In the four weeks of class I have been exposed to numerous pieces that I have never heard before. I'm not saying that all of them have made it to my iPod, but some of the music really caught my attention.

I just feel that it is a little sad that composers couldn't have been as supportive of each other, and created an environment where they would have been more inspired to create. Wh0 cares if you are a neo-classicist or a ulra-mdernest, new wave passive agressivist (that last one isn't real)? The variety in the expression of music is one of my favorite things about being a musician. There will always be new and different ways of making music....maybe we should all be more open to them.

Sorry if I rambled.

No comments:

Post a Comment