Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Ipod

Well..... here it goes. As a trumpet player, the first piece I would have to have on my Ipod is Mahler's 5th symphony. This is the staple of the trumpet world, one which is requested on most auditions, and one which I requested our visiting guest artist in trumpet master class today (Tom Hooten, principal trumpet of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) to play for us. In addition to its importance to the trumpet world, it is music of great emotional depth and breadth. Beginning with a funeral march, it rises from the depths of despair, through a turbulent sonata-allegro movement, to a joyful, energetic scherzo. Also along the way there is a delightful moment of call in a beautiful Adagietto for strings. Mahler concludes this journey from tragedy with a moment of grandeur and triumph with a rondo-finale displaying great contrapuntal mastery.

The second piece on my Ipod would be Dance Movements by Philip Sparke. Sparke is a contemporary British composer, and this music is quite difficult to perform. It is energetic, and has been dubbed the British response to Bernstein's West Side Story. In the first movement, Sparke takes the band through numerous metrical changes, culminating in a quick transition to the second movement. This movement is for the woodwinds, and is sort of like a scherzo movement. It is a ternary structure, with two outer rhythmically charged sections framing a lyrical, more nostalgic middle. This movement segues into the third movement. This is the slow movement of the work, and it is just for the brass. Sparke writes music of grandeur and great expansiveness. It rises to a climax, before fading away to nothing. Then, out of nowhere, the finale charges in. This is also a ternary and is also the longest movement of the work. It is more unsettled that the previous movements, and it is not until the coda that the music final is able to receive resolution and to conclude in a highly triumphant manner.

The third piece on my Ipod would have to be Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from West side story. The Wind Ensemble is actually playing a new arrangement of it at the end of April, which I am looking forward to. This work is full of energy, but one can feel the pent up tension in the music which is representative of the tense atmosphere between the rival gangs in the musical version. At the end, the work concludes quietly, ponderous of the fate that has befallen several of the main characters during the bloody feud between the two gangs.

The fourth piece on my Ipod would definitely have to be Mahler's 6th symphony. I know I have put two compositions by the same composer, but Mahler's works are so distinct from one another, that the only resemblances they bear with one another typical is that they were written by the same composer. In this work, Mahler uses a traditional four movement format. Subtitled "tragic" by the composer, it is music that he wrote to depict his trials throughout life. The first movement is a vigorous march like movement with a bombastic conclusion. The scherzo is almost sarcastic, with the shrill sonorities of the instruments exploited. Only in the third movement is there a repose from the atmosphere generated by the symphony. Here, the music has a pastoral feeling, enhanced with Mahler's use of Cowbells (Incidentally, Mahler used cowbells in the first movement of this symphony in a passage of relative calm). The finale returns to the mood established in the first two movements: one featuring despair and sarcasm. Originally, in this movement, Mahler had three hammer blows of fate written in, but in the revision he made to the symphony he omitted the final one. The movement concludes in utter despair, a stark contrast with his fifth symphony.

The final piece that I want on my Ipod is by a Russian-French-American composer: Igor Stravinsky. His Firebird suite is a staple among the symphonic repertoire. The ballet from which the suite is drawn from focuses on the adventures of Prince Ivan while in the forest. He comes across the Firebird and captures him. The Firebird begs for freedom, and Ivan grants it, a move he would later be thankful for. Later in Ivan's sojourn in the forest, he comes across 13 princesses held under a spell by King Kaschei. Ivan decides to free the princesses but is overpowered by Kaschei. At that moment, the Firebird returns and they defeat Kaschei. Stravinsky concludes the work by quoting in the orchestra an old Russian Folk tune. It is sounded first in the horn (much to Cheryl's approval) and is passed around the orchestra, growing louder until the music ends in triumph.

That, in a nutshell, would be the five pieces I would want on my Ipod.

9 comments:

  1. I am always leary of participating in lists like these: the subtext of something as inoccuous as "make a list of 5 things that are on your ipod" can easily be read as "put the 5 most widely diverse things on your ipod so I can try to 1-up you with my list." I don't think anyone would purposefully do this, but this is sorta where it leans...

    Perhaps interestingly but not uniquely, I try to keep my ipod business-related, so few of my hundreds of heavy metal CDs are actually on it, short of the ones I needed for my work in Holm-Hudson's Prog Rock class last year plus a few others. I also have not put most of my physical CD collection on here, so Rite of Spring doesn't make the cut this evening I'm afraid. That said, here's a list of my 5 widest things, which are not necessarily my 5 desert island choices. As a matter of fact, I suspect that none of them would be...

    OK, I scanned through my ipod for about 10 minutes, and could not come up with a list of 5 things that I think would characterize my musical tastes. fail. maybe I'll try again over the weekend...

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record, I actually do not own an Ipod, so if I want to listen to any of my 2200 CDs, I need to do it the old fashioned way. Anyway, these were just arbitrary decisions on my part, and really I could (an in some cases probably should) have selected something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ipod carries categories like: treadmill, parties, chilling, and academic. It's not hard to see which categories the following would fall under.

    Having recently been introduced to Nancarrow, my personality type requires me to listen to it over and over again. I've been listening to his String Quartet No.1 the past 2 weeks.

    What ipod would be complete without a collection of Chopin Nocturnes for those lazy, self indulging days or when you just feel like a good cry? Ashkenazy can play me to sleep, any night.

    Manu Chao, Sigur Ros, and Cesaria Evora for parties. I love world music!

    Shostakovich String Quartet No.8 because it reminds me of my undergraduate days at the Conservatoir in South Africa when your biggest worry was how many hours of practice you got in that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... Like Kyle, it seems impossible to list 5 "tunes" which would sustain me should those be the only 5 I could have. Even to choose 5 which would suffice to characterize me musically is a challenge -- I am not nearly as easy to characterize as one might initially assume. However, in life, we are often asked to do the impossible -- either explicitly or implicitly. So, I am pondering.... [Confession: I also do not have an iPod and have no intention of having one anytime soon.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. My iPod, as of February 28, 2009:

    -Green Jelly: "The Three Little Pigs"
    -Ottorino Respighi: "Feste Romane"
    -Dmitri Shostakovich: "Symphony No. 5"
    -Queen: "Bohemian Rhapsody"
    -Igor Stravisnky: "L'oiseau de feu"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let the record show that I do not like this business of narrowing choices down to five. Thus I will cheat. The first five are in no particular order.

    1. Johannes Brahms "Intermezzo in A Major, Op. 118 No. 2"
    2. Ralph Vaughan Williams "Symphony No. 5"
    3. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina "Missa Papae Marcelli"
    4. Thomas Tallis "Spem in Alium"
    5. William Byrd "De lamentatione Jeremiae prophetae"

    If I had room:
    6. Heinrich Schütz "Selig Sind die Toten"
    7. Robert Schumann "Three Romances for Oboe and Piano"
    8. J. S. Bach "The Well-Tempered Clavier" Books I and II

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently, I have come to terms with the fact that I am a pop-music addict. But do to lack of funds, I cannot by Britney Spears' new song "Womanizer." But if I could, I would probably have that on my ipod as well as every other pop song on the radio. I have lots of perc. music, symphonies, etc. But I think if I had to choose from a list of thousands of songs a certain number, I would just have to choose the last thing I listened to which is Sufjan Stevens two albums, "Come on Feel the Illinoise" and "Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State."

    I just want to tell everyone to go listen to him, it's really great music. A neat little story about him was that he was planning on recording an album in every state, and the songs from each album have something to do about the state that he wrote them in. Also, I enjoy that he hires back-up performers, like trumpet players, who are amateur players. This gives the CD a very non-studio sound, which I highly enjoy.

    Check it out, it's good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "make a list of 5 things that are on your iPod"...it's kind of difficult for me, because I keep changing my mind all of the time. It would be easier for me to share my list in categories. I also recently bought my iPod and I haven’t had much time to put that many albums in it yet. Some of the classical music in my iPod is from the theory classes that I took. I have some music from the following categories in my iPod now:

    -Percussion music: marimba (solo & duo)/percussion solo/ percussion ensemble/ jazz vibraphone collection/world music…
    -piano music: both classical and Jazz piano solo or trio
    -Orchestra music/String muisc
    -Jazz music: combo/ensemble
    -Chinese & Japanese pop music

    It is a pretty wide selection isn’t it? It feels like I didn’t really answer anything at all. The more that I think of it, the more genres come out my mind. I can’t decide…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Kyle, lists can often be an opportunity to show how much better you are than anyone else. On the other hand, I usually enjoy making them. Hmmm...
    I created five categories and then tried to choose one piece of music from each.
    1. Russian composers of the 19th and 20th centuries.
    I am obsessed with Russian composers for reasons that remain not entirely clear to me. I suspect it has something to do with their penchants for the exotic, the modal, the grotesque, minor keys, colorful orchestrations, and quotation of folk material. Including but not limited to:
    Arensky
    Balakirev
    Borodin
    Chesnokov
    Glazunov
    Gliere
    Kabalevsky
    Kalinnikov
    Khachaturian
    Liadov
    Mussorgsky
    Myaskovsky
    Prokofiev
    Rachmanninov
    Rimsky-Korsakov
    Scriabin
    Shostakovich
    Stravinsky
    Tchaikovsky
    Tcherepnin

    2. Composers considered "Impressionistic."
    I love the timbral opportunities and "color" of music and these composers display subtlety and nuance in their works:
    Debussy
    Griffes
    Ibert
    Koechlin
    Ravel

    3. GOOD Wind Band Music.
    Yes, it does exist and yes, I am very picky about it.
    Colgrass
    Ellerby
    Grainger
    Kurka
    Schmitt

    4. Clarinet Music.
    Used as a reference and a source of enjoyment, although less often than you might think

    5. Not-Classical.
    I couldn't think of a better name except "Everything else." A little sampling of lots of stuff
    Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (check these guys out!!! Jazz banjo genius!)
    Apocalyptica (Finnish cello quartet/trio plays hard rock)
    Gaelic Storm
    Flogging Molly
    Rammstein

    And now, if anyone still cares, the five finalists:
    1. Bela Fleck & the Flecktones - "Scratch & Sniff"
    2. Koechlin - "The Meditation of Purun Bhaghat"
    3. Colgrass - "Winds of Nagual"
    4. McAllister - "To the Pines...To the Pines" Movement II from the "X" Concerto for Clarinet
    5. Rimsky-Korsakov - "Scheherazade"

    ReplyDelete