Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Something OLD, Something NEW!!!!




I totally agree with Brad Meyer's blog post and am inspired. Some music I have found not to my liking, and I ask myself why? I have started to re-listen to Miles Davis's "Bitches Brew" it is highly experimental with electronic music. During my undergraduate degree I hated this album and have not listened to it since, until now. I am re-listening trying to keep an open mind about the album. Before this album Miles had begun two jazz movements (cool and model jazz). Some critics at the time characterized this new electronic music as simply obscure and "outside", which elevates Duke Ellington to say that Miles Davis is "the Picasso of jazz." I myself used to think of this music as "outside" the box. After having our discussions in class I found myself needing and wanting to hear things that are outside the box. Bitches Brew is definitely "outside" the box. For this album to come out in 1970 was amazing. After cool and modal jazz to go directly to experimental electronic music was large jump.



"the harmonies used in this recording move very slowly and function modally rather than in a more tonal fashion typical of mainstream jazz.... The static harmonies and rhythm section's collective embellishment create a very open arena for improvisation. The musical result flows from basic rock patterns to hard bop textures, and at times, even passages that are more characteristic of free jazz." –Paul Tanner. I love this quote from Paul Tanner, in this album Miles uses all his tricks in his shoe box. Many critics were not ready for all his tricks on one album, (myself included).


Now after listening and enjoying the different works were discussing in class I catch myself finally understanding and appreciating Miles Davis’s experimental electronic innovation. I am now finding myself enjoying experimental works. John Cage said if you don’t like a 5-minute piece of music, listen to it for 15-minutes. If you still don’t like that piece, listen to it for an hour. If you still don’t like that piece of music, listen to it for 5 hours, etc. Eventually, after enough exposure to a piece, you will appreciate it and possibly even love it.. I am finding this to be true.


No comments:

Post a Comment