Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Extended techniques...on tuba


I am very aware of the fact that not everybody can appreciate the tuba as a solo instrument, as I have for the past 20 years. However, considering the fact that MUS 690 has opened our ears and minds to new musical experiences, I was REALLY hoping I could share this with you in preparation for Thursdays extended techniques class. 

Oystein Baadsvik is undoubtedly the most innovative and successful solo tubist that has ever graced the musical stage. If you have 4 minutes, listen to this clip, it makes use of a lot of the extended techniques that Dannica, Claire and I have mentioned in the earlier blog (pitch bending, multiphonics, slap tonguing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMyrhilkdo

I am really looking forward to this topic, take it away Dannica!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment