Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What are those strange sounds!?

We had a very interesting lecture/demonstration given by Dannica on alternative vocal techniques. So far in our class we have listened to various instrumental pieces by Cage, Ives, Zappa (yes, I dare to include him!). Some of these pieces require the use of instruments that weren’t yet developed. Dr. Brunner even brought in a book of “new” instruments which can be either used for performance or for display. The instruments looked interesting and I’m sure would be interesting to hear. I would say that some were downright strange! I wonder how many of those instruments will become part of our future musical heritage!

Dannica brought our attention to the use of our origin instrument – our voice. It is true that other cultures have other vocal sounds that we don’t have in the US. I would even wager that our language sounds are pretty ‘bland’ when held up to other languages. It was very interesting to hear Laurie Anderson singing "O Superman". The altered vocal sounds were exciting to listen to. I had to listen to the youtube recording when I got home to get the full effect of it. I was glad to see/hear a demonstration of modern music using our own natural voice. I remember hearing sprechstimme back in my early college years and thinking it was a very interesting technique. Little did I know that I use a similar technique when I give instructions to my elementary general music classes using my singing/speaking voice. (note: Yes, my students often look at me strangely when I do this, but it does get their attention!) Thank you Dannica for remembering the voice in today's modern sound!

That same day, on that evening, Chris Little gave a clarinet master’s recital (which, by the way, was excellent). His first piece started fairly traditional, with the Sonata for Clarinet and Piano by Charles V. Stanford. Then his recital had a change of pace with The Phoenix by Daniel Levin, who is only 27 years old. What was most interesting (and the reason for the connection with Dannica’s lecture) was the selection and playing of Ronald Caravan’s (b. 1946) Polychromatic Diversions for Clarinet. What Dannica had the class to do with our voices, Chris did the same with his clarinet. There were several techniques that he used – playing 2 tones at the same time, a tone that sounds similar to a vocal fry sound, overtones, and other techniques that I can't even label. He also played a piece on the clarinet while the pianist held the damper pedal throughout the piece. He played into the piano and it was interesting to hear the various tones throughout the room that were resonating because of the sympathetic vibrations of the piano strings.

Both demonstrations that day were excellent and kudos to both of you. Both complimented each other even though I don't think they knew it was going to occur on the same day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words! The Caravan Polychromatic Diversions for Clarinet incorporates multiphonics, quarter-tones produced by unusual fingerings, glissandos and pitch bends, and an echo effect produced by playing into the piano strings with the damper pedal depressed. Apparently the echoes also hit the right frequency for certain metal objects in the room, which vibrated sympathetically! (This was pointed out to me after the fact, as I was too busy trying the play the pieces!)

    ReplyDelete