Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Playlist too!

Hi everyone. I wanted to go ahead and post my playlist before class. Maybe it could spur some discussion...maybe..yes? I tried to pick pieces that were strikingly different than what had come before both in American music and the composer's own work. I included two full albums in my list just because I thought they were stronger and more innovative when treated as opuses rather than singling out particular songs. Hope you enjoy!

1. Ives- Three Places in New England
2. Copland- El Salon Mexico
3. Morton Feldman- Extensions I
4. Cage- I Ching
5. Nancarrow- Study no. 41
6. Frank Zappa- Joe’s Garage album
7. Varese- Ionization
8. Reich- Come out
9. Elliot Carter- String Quartet No. 3
10. Dane Rudyar- Three Cantos
11.Adams- On the transmigration of Souls
12. John Coltrane- Ascension
13. Jelly Roll Morton- The Pearls
14. Caetano Veloso/ Gilberto Gil/ Tom Ze/ Nara Leão/ Os mutantes/ Gal Costa- Tropicália: ou Panis et Circenses album
15. Christopher Adler- Music for a Royal Palace

1 comment:

  1. I tried to narrow it down to as few tunes as possible and still get the point across. 15 tunes is a LONG radio program!!!

    ReplyDelete