Friday, April 24, 2009

Nancarrow reflection

Here I sit, after having finished my Dallapiccola analysis (those of you out there know what I'm talking about) and am drinking a glass of wine listening to Nancarrow's piano studies.  Here's what's on my mind:

I think Nancarrow was a genius, not just for what he composed, but for the fact that he is the only person I know to compose something for an acoustic instrument that will be performed exactly the way he wanted it to be performed, EVERY TIME!  This is an amazing feat as a composer, because I know that composer always deal with performers taking "liberties," when in fact what the composer wrote is probably what they intended to hear.  And with Nancarrow, he made his legacy exactly how he wanted it, with no interpretational issues.  What a genius.  I remember someone bringing up that with electronics/synthesizers/finale it is possible to play anything you can imagine, but for someone to take something that has no electronic sounds and make it sound the way he did is just unbelievable to me.  I only wish that someday I can go and listen to the player piano in person so I can fully experience the keys moving in front of me.

Anyways, that's all.

Make sure to RSVP for the Listening/Wine gathering.

Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment